ALZHEIMER'S AUSTRALIA DEMENTIA RESEARCH FOUNDATION
WHO WE ARE
Alzheimer’s Australia Dementia Research Foundation is the research arm of Alzheimer’s Australia.We support and fund research to help people living with dementia and their families now as well as research to develop new treatments for the future.
From improvements in diagnosis, management and care to prevention and delay of dementia, we support the brightest new researchers in their fight against this devastating condition. We believe science holds the key to defeating dementia, so we put our energy into funding research into its causes and potential treatments.
WHAT WE DO
- We invest in the best and brightest scientists in dementia research.
- We support innovative Australian research that offers the best hope of defeating dementia.
- We work with people with dementia to ensure that research reflects their concerns.
- We fund world-class research into the prevention, treatment and cure for dementia.
- We help people understand dementia and the progress research is making.
- We aim to make dementia a national research priority.
HOW WE DO IT
Australia has some of the best dementia researchers in the world. They’re dedicated to finding a cure. And we’re dedicated to supporting them.
Our Dementia Grants Program provides annual research funding worth more than $2 million. These funds help scientists continue their life-changing work. And every year, the Dementia Grants Program provides support in the form of research grants, travel grants, scholarships and fellowships, so we can support the most promising researchers in the fight against dementia.
WHY IS AN INVESTMENT IN RESEARCH IMPORTANT?
Dementia is the third leading cause of death in Australia. But investment into research will help us minimise its impact.
At the moment, dementia touches almost 1.5 million of us. That’s almost 280,000 Australians living with the condition and a further 1.2 million caring for someone with it.
Australian scientists are working hard to delay, prevent and ultimately find a cure for dementia. They’ve already made great progress in identifying those most at risk, and developing strategies to manage the effects.
To give our best and brightest scientists a fighting chance against dementia, we need to maintain a level of funding that allows them to carry out their work. And to achieve this, we need your help.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
We rely on fantastic supporters like you to fund dementia research. There are lots of ways you can get involved in the fight against dementia.
Fundraise for us
The easiest way to fundraise is by getting sponsored to do something fun. But there are lots of ways you can help raise money to support our research.
Here are a few ideas:
- Get sponsored by friends and family to complete a challenge e.g. a fun run, a marathon, skydive or bike ride.
- Organise an event e.g. a morning tea, garage sale, BBQ, bingo or movie night.
- Group together to raise funds e.g. arrange a raffle, trivia night, sporting event or maybe even a concert.
- Get your workmates involved. Many employers will match the money you raise to help you make a bigger impact. Ask your employer for details.
Donate to us
- Donate online: click the 'donate here' button on the top right of this page
- Become a regular giver, set up a Direct Debit
- Phone (02) 6254 4233 to donate via telephone
- Email our fundraising officer for more information on fundraising or donating to the Foundation:
Volunteer with us
If you’ve had personal experience of dementia, you can volunteer to become a dementia champion and raise awareness of the condition. For more information on becoming a dementia champion please visit the Campaign Website
To get involved in current research projects click here.
The Foundation's Annual Reports:
Annual Report 2011/12 (PDF, 3.21MB)
Annual Report 2010/2011 (PDF, 1.8 MB)
Annual Report 2009/2010 (PDF, 1 MB)
Annual Report 2008/2009 (PDF, 1.1MB)
Annual Report 2007/2008 (PDF, 2.2MB)
Annual Report 2006/2007 (PDF, 3.9MB)
Annual Report 2005/2006 (PDF, 1.6MB)
Annual Report 2004/2005 (PDF, 857KB)